Intro

I entered middle age a few years ago...okay, a little more than a few. Our daughters are 28 and 26. After they left, I cautiously redecorated their bedrooms. I did the usual, donated "Lucky" brand jeans (left from 3rd grade) and stuffed animals to a local thrift store. Next, I threw away countless plastic bags from "The Gap" and other retailers. Some of them included various amounts of change, which of course I took as my housekeeping fee. Every $6.40 helps!

I slowly bought new furniture items that I liked - a futon and frame, small roll-top desk, area rugs and lamps. One room was starting to resemble my new "office" which would double as a guest room when necessary. One morning as I was getting ready to leave for work, I heard (and felt) a very large boom-crash. I cautiously walked upstairs to find the dust clearing and about half of the ceiling of my new room on the floor. Ah, the joys of owning an antique house...

Monday, August 6, 2012

Still moving ahead

Even slow progress is still progress.That's my new mantra! On Saturday, the hubby came in with head held high and proclaimed, "I helped with the downsizing project!" He had given 2 float-tubes and 2 sets of flippers away to daughter number two and her fiancĂ©. For those of you who don't know what a float tube is, here is a picture I stole from the internet:
 A fly fisherman sits in this contraption in the middle of a lake with flippers attached to his/her feet and proceeds to paddle around in said lake in an attempt to locate and catch fish - usually trout which he/she then may or may not unhook and throw back into the lake. This is repeated until sunburned or arm falls off, whichever happens last. Incidentally, they are quite large and take up considerable real estate in my basement.

In other news, am moving forward in bits, still taking 1 or 2 bags a week to the trash can. Over the weekend, I boxed up more clothes to take to the thrift store. Feeling pretty good about myself this morning! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excellent progress! We too are thinking "downsize" thoughts but it is difficult to convince My Better Half to get started - at least yours has participated a little bit...