Intro

I entered middle age a few years ago...okay, a little more than a few. Our daughters are 28 and 26. After they left, I cautiously redecorated their bedrooms. I did the usual, donated "Lucky" brand jeans (left from 3rd grade) and stuffed animals to a local thrift store. Next, I threw away countless plastic bags from "The Gap" and other retailers. Some of them included various amounts of change, which of course I took as my housekeeping fee. Every $6.40 helps!

I slowly bought new furniture items that I liked - a futon and frame, small roll-top desk, area rugs and lamps. One room was starting to resemble my new "office" which would double as a guest room when necessary. One morning as I was getting ready to leave for work, I heard (and felt) a very large boom-crash. I cautiously walked upstairs to find the dust clearing and about half of the ceiling of my new room on the floor. Ah, the joys of owning an antique house...

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

It's still the New Year, right?

I have been avoiding posting updates because I missed my final goal date (notice that I did not use the word “deadline”). I was pretty disappointed when I realized that my projected time was upon me. Here is an excerpt from an early post dated November 21, 2010:

Having no realistic idea of how long this clearing out will take, I'm just going to pick a date out of the air....here it is...drum-roll...January 1, 2012. I considered 11/11/11 which is such an awesome date, but there's just something about the beginning of a year that seems to keep order in the Universe.

Four weeks ago, I checked out a book from the library titled, One Year to an Organized Life by Regina Leeds. Well, in typical disorganized fashion, I started looking through it today; the day it’s due. Well, I read the first several pages on my lunch break and then I returned it because, as luck would have it, someone had reserved it and I wasn’t able to renew. I am excited enough after reading a few pages that I put it on hold for myself. Ha-Ha, take that! One year sounds like a long time, but there are a lot of things in the book that I have already done. It also includes things other than clearing things out. She talks about organizing financially, and things like not spending time looking all over for keys. I do need to get rid of a lot of things, large and small. She definitely advocates pitching things, but she also talks a lot about getting new things such as containers in order to organize. I like the way that the author presents her ideas and plans. It is laid out in 52 week-by-week segments. The book begins with January, but in the Introduction, Leeds, suggests beginning at whatever time of the year with the corresponding month in the book. Not having read very far, I can only assume that the activities coincide with the ideal time of year to complete each one. I think that ordering it from Amazon would be a better choice for moi, it is priced low and I think I will be referring to it for months. 

(I don't know why Blogger has been arbitrarily highlighting and underlining sections of my posts, but it's annoying and I don't like it)!

No comments: