Intro

I entered middle age a few years ago...okay, a little more than a few. Our daughters are 28 and 26. After they left, I cautiously redecorated their bedrooms. I did the usual, donated "Lucky" brand jeans (left from 3rd grade) and stuffed animals to a local thrift store. Next, I threw away countless plastic bags from "The Gap" and other retailers. Some of them included various amounts of change, which of course I took as my housekeeping fee. Every $6.40 helps!

I slowly bought new furniture items that I liked - a futon and frame, small roll-top desk, area rugs and lamps. One room was starting to resemble my new "office" which would double as a guest room when necessary. One morning as I was getting ready to leave for work, I heard (and felt) a very large boom-crash. I cautiously walked upstairs to find the dust clearing and about half of the ceiling of my new room on the floor. Ah, the joys of owning an antique house...

Friday, April 19, 2013

The Nest is Free and Clear!

This week marked an important milestone in my life. For the first time in 27 years, I am mortgage-free! For a couple of years, we talked about paying the house off early, but it was just too big a chunk of change. We paid extra toward the principal every month until the balance was a smaller big chunk of change. Last week (even after getting not-so-great tax news), we [gulp] took money out of savings and just did it.

I have to say, I was a little disappointed in the reaction of the bank employees. I knew they probably wouldn't uncork the champagne or release confetti out of the ceiling, but I expected a little smile and a "congratulations," or "way to go!" I'm here to say that it was just another day at the office for these courteous but glum tellers. I left feeling a little under-appreciated and not really having anything to show but a receipt that looked like all of the other receipts I got over the years.

No comments: